Let’s talk about comments.
Hi, I’m Dory, and I’m a commentaholic.
I leave several comments a day at bloggy friends’ casas, and get a leeetil too much of a thrill at every comment I receive.
What leads me to leave commenty love?
- Priority One: If I have something worthwhile to add to the discussion. I don’t leave a lame-ass comment just to see if I can bogart someone’s traffic.
- If someone leaves me a comment, I will go out of my way to visit their casa and leave them a “Thanks for stopping by” for sure and also another follow-up if I can come up with something decent.
- I almost never leave a comment on a post that has more than 20 already, unless: 1-they’ve commented at my casa before; 2-I have something really worthwhile to add; or 3-every once in a while, if I can come up with something halfway witty, I’ll leave a what-the-hell, shot-in-the-dark comment just to see if they’ll visit me.
- If it’s a really fantastic post, if I can’t come up with something worthwhile to add, I will still give them a “Excellent post! Brava/o!” or the reaction I had, like “Oh, this one gave me goosebumps” or “Damn you, now I’m all misty-eyed.”
- I will go to at least five-ish new blogs on Wordless Wednesday and Weekly Winners to leave a few “Great shot! I like [insert what grabbed me] how you did that there!”
What honks me off?
When I’ve left several (let’s say 10) comments on someone’s blog and they don’t reciprocate even once. Unless their writing affects me very deeply or makes me actually laugh out loud, I’ll drop them off my reader. I just know from experience that if I leave them on my reader, I’ll be annoyed enough that it will color my reception of their writing until I’m using that snarky voice in my head as I read their posts.
What makes my day?
When a Big Boy/Girl Blogger emails a response to a comment I left or an email I wrote them.
What makes my week?
When a Big Boy/Girl Blogger leaves a comment here!
How do I check for follow-up on a comment I left?
I don’t. I don’t like to subscribe to comments because I’m following seventy something blogs in my reader NOW; I think Google Reader would split its pants if I subscribed. And who has time to bookmark that particular comment page to check back later? I’m sorry, not me. I already feel I don’t have enough time in my day. But I love when people respond to my comments via email! When I was at blogspot, I put up a poll to determine whether people preferred my response to them left in comments OR emailed. It was something like 47% to 53%. I’ve been doing both for a while now, and it seems redundant, but I want people to know that I value their input.
What do you prefer; response in comments OR email?
What honks you off? What makes your day/week?
What makes you decide to leave a comment?
*Turns out: 21.
Ratio of the word “comment”
to all other words is 1:25
if anyone’s keeping track.